Saturday, June 27, 2015

Para Group - Attempt I

Here is my first attempt to recreate the three Parasaurolophus species in color, traced over the drawing of the skulls I posted last week before being colored with pencils (minus the beaks for now).

From Top: "Joey"the baby Parasaurolophus (probably P. cyrtocristatus), P. cyrtocristatus, P. walkeri, and P. tubicen (not to scale).

Choosing an appropriate palette for iconic dinosaurs can be frustrating, since I feel the need to find a distinct yet practical one that hasn't been utilized by artists (e.g. dull green with a blood red crest). The challenge is made even greater when you have a feature as alien of Parasaurolophus' crest to color.

The main leitmotifs of this piece are a combination of dark stripes and spots, a paler underside, a war between reds, yellows, and browns, and a striking crest that be used to distinguish an individual animal. I think I dropped the ball with this last theme, and hope to improve next time I take a stab at this perplexing animal.


No comments:

Post a Comment